Monday, December 7, 2015

The End

(God 

Beowulf yells, "Close the gate!"

The whole town runs around in fear. Beowulf, Adam, Eve, Mr. Rabbit, and Alice all run to the top of the front gate as fast as they can. They all are knocked left and right from the sporadic crowd. Beowulf, Adam, and Eve make it to the top of the front gate. Alice and Mr. Rabbit get separated from them. 

"What do we do?" Adam and Eve cry to Beowulf. 

Beowulf picks up his sword and says, "WE FIGHT. Do not be afraid. God is on our side."

Then he yells, "Come on! Archers get ready! Fire when I say so!"

The army of devils approaches quickly. They are all in a dead sprint toward the castle. 

Beowulf tells the archers, "Wait! Wait!"

The army is nearing the castle about four hundred feet away.

Beowulf continues, "Hold! Hold!"

The men's arms get tired from holding their bows. Their aim gets more difficult. The army is two hundred feet away now. 

Beowulf gives the order, "Send these beasts back where they came from! Fire!"

Arrows knock down devil troops left and right. It looks like their attack is failing, and the castle is holding! Beowulf's army's hopes are short-lived though. The army makes its way for the castle door's main entrance. 

Eve yells, "We must make for the gate!"

Beowulf nods in approval. He and Adam follow Eve to the gate. 

Adam yells, "To the gate, men! We must fight for our lives!" 

Boom! The gate rattles. All on the inside stand behind the gate ready to give their lives. 

Beowulf looks at the men and women. They all have fear in their eyes. 

Beowulf raises his sword."With God as my witness, we will win this battle today. We shall save the town. Ready your arms and do not fear. It is time to show them what real power looks like!" 

The whole army cheers in agreement. The gate booms again. Men, women, and children cry, holding onto their last moments. One more shot at the gate and it will fall. 

A loud boom rings out as the last hit to the door clangs.  The army rushes in. They start tearing through the crowd. Beowulf, Adam, and Eve fight, keeping the battle focused on them in the middle. All of a sudden, they see a portal open up and out come Mr. Rabbit and Alice with the evil Queen of Heart's army from Wonderland. The Queen's army of cards seeks to deal the enemy a different hand this day. 

Mr. Rabbit yells, “Charge!”

Alice yells, “After them!”

The Queen of Hearts yells, “If anyone is going to cut someone's head off, it will be me Satan!”

All smile and look above the portal as it closes. They all see God winking back at them. Satan’s army is getting pushed back!

Beowulf leads the charge with his sword that magically starts flaming. He takes it and stabs it in the ground as hard as he can yelling, “Thou giveth and thou taketh away!”

Boom! A line of fire is set between Satan’s army and the castle. Satan’s army flees from the castle.

The crowd and Lord’s company are yelling shouts of joy. The whole castle can finally lay down their weapons.

God appears suddenly and says, “Beowulf, Adam, Eve, Mr. Rabbit, and Alice, you have finished your duties. It is time to go back to your homes now. “

Beowulf says, “I don’t know if I want to.”

God replies, “What?”

Eve replies, “ Yeah, I’m with him. We’ve been through too much together to call it quits now."

Eve smiles. Adam, Mr. Rabbit, and Alice nod in agreement.

God says, “ Okay then, I will watch after you. If you ever need anything, you know where to find me.”

God disappears and the heroes turn around to face the town. Cheers ring out and a large festival begins.

Author's Note: In the original story Suicide and Salvation,  Adam and Eve both decided to die because of their sin against God by listening to the serpent. The serpent told them to eat the fruit from a tree that they are not allowed to eat from. Adam and Eve, disgusted with themselves, took their lives. However, God brought them back to life and took all of their sin and put it on himself. So, God then destroyed their sin and forgave them. 

In my story, God saves our characters from death as well by bringing an army from Wonderland. I chose to write it in third person narrative because it helped me develop the story better with different voices and views of people. The goal for this story was to have a surprise moment where everyone is saved from Satan's army. I thought that was pivotal and would make for a very entertaining short story. I built the story up to have this massive ending so I figured I needed a miraculous surprise. I wanted Alice and Mr. Rabbit active. I believe they were the biggest surprise of all. My last goal was to bring the message from Suicide and Salvation into the story. In essence, I wanted to show God saving the day in a small way. I didn't want him fighting the battle for them, but to assist them. 

Bibliography: Suicide and Salvation, The Forgotten Books of Eden, Rutherford H. Platt, (1926)


1 comment:

  1. I was happy to see that your portfolio was picked as one of the favorites. I think you did a very good job. It was one of the most creative portfolios I have read all semester. I never knew what the story was going to hold when I went to your page, which made me very intrigued in your work. I think you did a nice job on the last story. I liked how you built up their journey’s through the first two stories to the battling moment in the third story.
    Your author’s notes were very descriptive and helped the reader understand where you got your ideas from. I think you did a good job with your revisions. I did not find any grammatical errors. I also think you did a good job finding the right images for the stories. I enjoyed reading your new stories and learning more about their adventures.

    ReplyDelete